Traveling to Berlin with Dogs: An Honest Review (And Why I Won’t Do It Again)
I generally try to avoid taking my dogs to bustling, chaotic big cities. However, on a recent business trip to Berlin, I decided to make an exception. Our Berlin office is dog-friendly, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to bring my two girls along for the ride.
Spoiler alert: I will not be doing that again.
While Germany as a whole is known for loving its pets, my personal experience is that Berlin is not very dog-friendly. From strict leash laws to expensive hotel fees, here is an honest look at what it is really like to travel to the German capital with your canine companions.
The Reality of Berlin’s Park and Leash Laws (Leinenzwang)
Walking through a city should be relaxing, but in Berlin, it felt like an obstacle course. Dogs certainly cannot go everywhere. Where they are allowed, prominent signs dictate that they must be kept on a short leash (max 1-2 meters).
We did encounter locals in neighborhood parks who had their dogs off-leash, but as a visitor, I could sense an underlying vibe that dogs weren't entirely welcome to roam freely. To make matters more stressful, Berlin is a massive cycling city. We tried to enjoy a random city park, but we had to stick strictly to the grass. The paved paths were highways for fast-moving cyclists, meaning my girls had to be kept on a very short leash the entire time just to avoid a collision.
The "No Dogs Allowed" Disappointment
I had thoroughly researched beautiful green spaces and was incredibly excited to visit the Britzer Garten, a stunning, sprawling park known for its lakes and flower gardens. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that dogs are strictly forbidden from entering. (Note to fellow travelers: this "no dogs" rule also applies to the popular Gardens of Charlottenburg Palace and many botanical gardens in the city).
Pet Fees and Unfriendly Encounters
The frustrations didn't stop at the parks. When I ordered food to our accommodation, the delivery driver immediately started yelling at me not to let the dogs get close to him—even though both of my girls were calmly sitting next to me on short leashes.
Then came the hotel fees. My original accommodation wanted to charge me a staggering €80 extra just for the dogs! I promptly canceled and booked a cute, private apartment just outside the city limits. The difference was night and day; the hosts welcomed my girls warmly, proving that getting out of the city center is often the best choice for pet owners.
Public Transport Warnings
Another thing to keep in mind if you plan to navigate Berlin: the public transit system (BVG) has strict rules. Unless your dog is small enough to travel in a closed carrier, you have to buy them a reduced-fare ticket, and they are legally required to wear a muzzle on all trains and buses.
Open Parks and Dog-Friendly Areas in Berlin
Berlin does have many large parks, and because I was there for work, I didn't have time to explore them all. If you do find yourself in Berlin with a dog, look for designated "Hundeauslaufgebiete" (dog run areas). Here are a few spots where dogs are actually allowed to stretch their legs:
Grunewald Forest (Grunewaldsee): This is the holy grail for Berlin dog owners. It’s a massive forest area with a specific lake where dogs are allowed to swim and run off-leash legally. It’s a bit outside the city center, but highly recommended.
Tempelhofer Feld: This massive abandoned airport turned public park has three fenced-in dog runs where your pups can play off-leash safely away from the cyclists and skaters.
Volkspark Hasenheide: While you must use a leash in the main park, there are two designated dog enclosures here where they can play freely.
Mauerpark: A famous park in Prenzlauer Berg. It gets incredibly crowded (especially on Sundays for the flea market), so proceed with caution, but it does have a small designated dog area.
The Ultimate Verdict
While there are a few designated safe havens for dogs like Grunewald, the overall stress of navigating cyclists, strict leash laws, high pet fees, and the general big-city chaos just isn't worth it for me.
If I have to go to Berlin for business again, the girls will happily stay back home at their doggy kindergarten, where they are allowed to run free, and are endlessly loved and welcomed!