From Heartbreak to Corfu: How I Went to Volunteer and Came Home with Two "Souvenirs"
This blog post is a touching personal narrative about a lifelong love for animals. After losing my two beloved dogs, Bony and Mia, I volunteered at an animal shelter in Corfu, Greece. Initially intending only to help, but I "accidentally" adopted two new dogs, Angie and Paula, bringing them back home with me. The story details my emotional journey, the challenges and joys of volunteering, the rescue process, and the beginning of my new life with my canine companions, highlighting the importance of animal adoption.
I think I was born with a "Must Pet All Dogs" gene.
As a child, I spent my summers at my grandparents’ house in the countryside, surrounded by rabbits, cats, and farm animals. While other kids were playing tag, I was probably trying to befriend a chicken. I’m not sure if the countryside shaped me or if I was just born this way, but animals have always been my safe space. They are pure, innocent souls, and frankly, they’re often better company than humans.
The Legends: Bony & Mia
My first dog as an adult was Bony. He came to me in the most unexpected way—he was a gift from a homeless woman. Bony was a puppy with shiny black hair and a heart of gold. He was smart, loyal, and my absolute best friend until 2017. Losing him at 14 years old broke my heart, but he left me with a lifetime of memories from our travels around the Czech Republic and beyond.
When Bony was about seven, we decided he needed an apprentice. Enter Mia. Mia was rescued from a mother who had been found chained and neglected (thankfully, the mom and all puppies found great homes!). Mia was... energetic. At first, Bony looked at her like, "Why is this thing bouncing?" but soon, he took her under his wing.
Mia was a water fanatic. If there was a body of water—a puddle, a lake, the ocean—she was in it. My ultimate goal was to take her to the sea, and I’m so happy we made it to Germany and Italy together. She had the time of her life.
Sadly, dogs have one flaw: they don’t live forever. In 2024, Mia crossed the rainbow bridge to reunite with Bony. The silence in my house was deafening.
The "Accidental" Adoption Plan
After Mia passed, I tried to fill the void with work and business trips, but coming home to an empty house was awful. I knew I needed a dog, but how do you choose? There are so many sad eyes in shelters. I decided to leave it to fate.
Because I follow way too many animal rescue pages, I stumbled upon Tlapky z Korfu (Paws of Corfu). They needed volunteers. I applied immediately. I told myself, "I am just going to help. I am NOT bringing a dog home."
...But just to be safe, I booked my return flight on Smartwings (who allow dogs on board) instead of Ryanair (who don’t). You know. Just in case. Call it subconscious planning.
Corfu: Scooping Poop and Falling in Love
I arrived in Corfu in August 2024, ready to work. The shelter, run by the incredible Marketa, houses about 60 dogs and many cats. Marketa is basically a superhero without a cape; her devotion to these animals is endless.
My job? Learn 60 names, memorize medication schedules, clean pens, and dispense cuddles. It was physically exhausting (so much poop!), but mentally healing. The dogs there aren't sad; they live in large pens with their best friends, play in the yard, and are genuinely happy.
But the stray situation in Corfu is tough. There are so many dogs on the streets, discarded like trash. You can read more about the shelter here.
Meet the Girls: Angie & Paula
I was staying in the volunteer apartment (which is super cute, by the way), and that’s where I met my fate.
Angie: Found by a dumpster with her siblings. By the time I arrived, she was the last one left unadopted. She was 8 months old and decided immediately that she was my shadow. She stuck to me like Velcro.
Paula: Found alone in an olive tree, terrified. Marketa didn’t have room in the shelter but couldn't leave her on the street, so she took her in. When I arrived, Paula stared into my soul. I felt like she decided she was going home with me, not the other way around.
So, after a few days, I realized I wasn't going home alone. I called Marketa and said, "Okay, pack their bags."
The Great Migration
Marketa is a wizard with paperwork. She arranged passports, vaccinations, blood tests, and the flight tickets. I just had to find a taxi in Prague big enough for a giant crate.
When we finally got home, it was comedy gold. The girls had never been in a house.
The TV: "What is this magic box with tiny people inside?"
The Mirror: "WHO IS THAT DOG? Oh, it's me."
I took them upstairs to the bedroom and made them a promise: You are safe now. You have soft beds, full bowls, and you never have to be afraid again. I think they understood.
Life as a Trio
The first few days were a blur of shopping (I had given all of Mia’s old things to shelters, so we started from scratch). We bought harnesses, toys, and an obscene amount of treats.
Taking them on their first walk was the easiest part. They were a little scared at first, but once they realized the Czech Republic smells different than Greece, they were hooked. Now, we are hiking buddies.
We’ve started training, too. It turns out, they are geniuses—or maybe they just really love snacks. I’m not a professional trainer; I’m just a dog mom trying her best. I make mistakes, they chew things they shouldn't, but we figure it out together.
To Be Continued...
Our story with Tlapky z Korfu didn't end there. I became great friends with Marketa and now help with dog transfers in the Czech Republic.
Actually, last year we drove back to Corfu—yes, by car, with both girls!—to help at the shelter again. And we are planning another trip this year. But that’s a story for another post. Stay tuned for The Sisterhood of the Traveling Dogs: The Road Trip Edition.
If you are looking for a furry friend, please consider adopting. Fate might just be waiting for you in an olive tree in Greece.