4,000 km, 6 Countries, and One Vomit Crisis: Our Road Trip to Corfu

 This post recounts an epic 4,000-kilometer road trip from Prague to Corfu undertaken by me, the author and my two rescue dogs, Angie and Paula, in May 2025. The journey's purpose was to return to Corfu and volunteer at Marketa's dog shelter, a place dear to my heart. The narrative details the extensive planning involved, including documents, routes through six countries (two non-EU), and ferry travel. It describes various stops, from the serene Lake Balaton in Hungary to the bustling city of Belgrade, and the challenging yet scenic drive through North Macedonia. The highlight is the arrival in Greece, the ferry to Corfu, and the fulfilling daily routine of volunteering and exploring the island with my dogs. The return trip becomes an unexpected adventure when we transport a third dog, Elli, back to Czechia, turning a planned three-day journey into a non-stop 1,500 km drive filled with "vomit saga" challenges but ultimately successful. The post concludes with a commitment to future volunteering trips, emphasizing the joy and purpose found in animal rescue.

In May 2025, the three of us (me and the girls) packed up the car for our biggest adventure yet: Prague to Corfu.

The mission? Return to the island to help my friend Marketa at her dog shelter. I couldn’t wait to reunite with the dogs I had befriended in 2024 and catch up with Marketa. We had stayed in touch since I left last September, exchanging updates on shelter life and how my own dogs were doing, but nothing beats seeing a friend in person.

The challenge? 4,000 kilometers. Six countries to cross. Two non-EU borders. And a ferry ride.

Furry friends on the beach

Phase 1: The Great Tetris Game & The Road

Preparing for a trip this size is like planning a military operation.

  • The Documents: Passports (for me and the dogs), car insurance green card, and wallet.

  • The Route: Czechia -> Slovakia -> Hungary -> Serbia -> North Macedonia -> Greece.

  • The Tolls: Electronic vignettes for Slovakia and Hungary. Serbia, North Macedonia, and Greece have old-school toll booths (keep your cash/card handy!).

Observation of the trip: Driving through the Balkans was surprisingly stress-free! The highways are well-maintained and nowhere near as overcrowded as the chaotic autobahns in Germany or the D1 in Czechia.

I packed the car with military precision: one small suitcase for overnight stops, bags for the girls, my main luggage, and a trunk absolutely stuffed with gifts for the shelter dogs. We were heavy, happy, and ready to roll.

Stop 1: The Hungarian Sea (Siofok)

Our first pit stop was Siofok on the shores of Lake Balaton. The water has this incredible turquoise color, and in May, the weather was perfect. There are plenty of walking paths along the lake, but we didn't linger too long. We had miles to eat.

furry friends on a road trip - Balaton

Stop 2: Belgrade & The Border Anxiety

Crossing into Serbia (non-EU) gave me a little anxiety spike, but we waited only 30 minutes. I handed over the passports, tried to look like I wasn't smuggling a trunk full of dog treats, and we were through.

In Belgrade, I booked a modern apartment in the city. We spent the afternoon exploring the fortress and the park (Kalemegdan).

  • The Vibe: Belgrade is modernizing fast. It’s becoming a true metropolis with cool festivals and buzzing energy.

  • The Dog Reality: While the fortress views are stunning, finding grass and shade in the concrete jungle was a bit of a hunt. We eventually found some quieter, tree-lined side roads away from the festival crowds.

furry friends in Belgrade

Stop 3: North Macedonia (High Bridges & Heavy Hearts)

Crossing into North Macedonia was a breeze (barely any cars), and the drive was spectacular. The highway cuts through mountains with massive, dizzying bridges. I couldn't help but wonder how anyone traveled here before these roads existed.

We stayed in Star Dojran, a tiny village by a lake.

  • The Reality Check: I have to be honest—this accommodation was a mistake. North Macedonia struggles with poverty, and as an animal lover, it broke my heart to see the state of the stray animals there. The apartment didn't feel entirely safe, so we left at the crack of dawn. I was relieved to see the Greek border.

furry friends in North Macedonia

Arrival in Greece: The Ferry to Paradise

Crossing back into the EU felt like a warm hug. The drive to Igoumenitsa through Northern Greece is one of my favorite things—endless tunnels and mountains. You just don't get these views from a plane.

We booked our tickets via Ferryscanner (highly recommend). The ferries run every 30 minutes, so stress is low.

  • Note: Dogs aren't allowed in the ferry restaurants, so we hung out on the deck, watching the islands drift by.

We landed in Kerkyra (Corfu) and drove straight to Kavadades. The moment the girls saw Marketa, they went wild. They knew exactly who she was—the woman who saved them. We settled into our rented beach house, ready for work.


boat ride with dogs

The Corfu Routine: Sand, Shelter, Sleep

My girls stayed at Marketa’s house during the day (I didn't want them alone in a rental), while I went to work.

  • Morning: Beach walks! The girls loved digging in the sand but treated the waves like lava.

  • Work: Breakfast with Marketa, then the shelter routine. Clean pen. Feed dogs. Play with dogs. Repeat until every tail is wagging.

  • Evenings: Exploring places like Kassiopi (warning: your phone will try to connect to the Albanian network here, which is expensive!) or dinner in Agios Stephanos.

animal shelter in Corfu

The Return: 1,500 km in One Day (The Vomit Saga)

The plan was to take three days to get back. The reality was... different. We were transporting a third dog, Elli, who had been adopted by a family in Czechia. So now: Me, three dogs, and a long road.

We stopped for one night in Dion, Greece, and then I made a crazy decision: I’m just going to drive the whole way home.

Why? Well, Elli wasn’t used to cars. She got sick. Paula, my other dog, is a diva who does not vomit. She panicked because she was sharing the back seat with the "incident." Picture this: Me, on a Greek highway, frantically looking for a safe spot to pull over, scrubbing the back seat while Paula looked at me with pure judgment.

Once the car was clean, Paula relaxed, Elli fell asleep, and I just kept driving. 1,500 km. We stopped only for gas and bathroom breaks. We crossed borders (I had to open the trunk once at the Hungarian border, but the officer just saw a pile of sleeping dogs and waved me through).

We arrived in Prague at midnight. I was exhausted, spent, and smelling vaguely of cleaning supplies. But we made it. Elli met her new family the next day, and I started the long process of unpacking.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. We are already planning this year's trip. (But maybe I’ll bring extra cleaning wipes next time).

Have you ever embarked on an epic road trip with your pets? Share your adventures in the comments below! And if you're curious about our first trip to Corfu, you can read about it here


Popular posts

From Heartbreak to Corfu: How I Went to Volunteer and Came Home with Two "Souvenirs"

Paws, Sunsets, and Second Chances: Our Two Weeks Volunteering in Corfu (April 2026)

Paws in Paradise: Why Grubers Hotel in Bad Gastein is Our Ultimate Dog-Friendly Retreat

A Pawsitively Magical Easter Escape: Hiking Schladming-Dachstein with Dogs (2026)

A Perfect Bavarian Sunday: Reuniting with Friends, Furballs, and the Charm of Kallmünz

Traveling to Berlin with Dogs: An Honest Review (And Why I Won’t Do It Again)