Paws, Sunsets, and Second Chances: Our Two Weeks Volunteering in Corfu (April 2026)
There is something truly magical about returning to a place where you left a piece of your heart. Tuesday marked my first day back at the dog shelter in Corfu. The incredible Marketa was there with me on the first day because the dogs have changed since last year, so I needed new instructions about the dogs I didn't know yet.
Day one at the shelter was a big refresh. It’s a bittersweet reality of shelter life: dogs leave when they get adopted and go to their forever homes, and new ones come in. Marketa has to make sure she matches them so they don’t have conflicts. I learned new names, new personalities, and their routines. All of them are super cute. It was super nice to see the ones I already knew, although it made me feel sad that these beautiful souls haven’t found their forever homes yet. I got back into the routine pretty quickly, and with another volunteer, I had time to take the dogs out for a walk.
Sunsets, Waterfalls, and Exploring Corfu
When we weren't at the shelter, the girls and I spent our afternoons either at the beach near our house in Agios Georgios or exploring the island. April is a fantastic time to visit! A quick tip though: I unfortunately got a bit of a sunburn on my neck and arms. My mistake is forgetting that the sun is already strong in April. Sunscreen is a must!
Here are the places we visited:
Cape Drastis & Loggas Beach: Cape Drastis has breathtaking sunset views. After taking many pictures, there is a nice walk down to the sea to admire the stone formations and clear water. Loggas Beach is another viewpoint worth seeing; you can walk down to the small secluded beach, but the walk is steep, so watch your step and have good shoes.
Afionas Village: A beautifully preserved traditional old village. It is a high-profile spot full of tourists and restaurants offering a view of Porto Timoni. You can walk down to the beaches, but be prepared for a steep, rocky path.
Kyprianades Waterfall: A completely hidden, totally empty place. The path isn't the best, but it goes through a forest offering nice shade. The waterfall area is tranquil and relaxing, and the girls loved splashing and cooling off in the water.
Nymphes Waterfall: A beautiful waterfall with a short but very steep path that is definitely worth it. You can park right by the waterfall, but it is better to park in the village or by the football field for a nice walk. April is a great month to visit, as I've heard it dries up in summer.
Castello Bizantino di Angelokastro: An old castle on top of a mountain. You can drive all the way there, where there is a small parking lot and a restaurant. We didn't go in but walked around, taking stunning pictures on the way and enjoying the breathtaking views.
Trip to Corfu Town: My Canon camera ran out of battery, so I went hunting for a charger. My plan was to buy it, stroll the bay and old town with the girls, and have a drink at a seaside restaurant. Reality was much different! The charger wasn't in any store, even though the internet said it was. Traffic was so stressful with seemingly no rules. I spent two hours going between electronic shops with no luck. I finally parked in front of a park to walk the girls, but the old town was out of the question. Next time, I'll go when I don't have to look for anything specific!
Meet the Paws of Corfu
Because there are three of us now, Marketa has time to do everything she normally doesn’t, and I was able to take the dogs out for a walk every day. I took some to the beach for walkies, socialization, and photoshoots, because good pictures are essential for adoption.
Sammy: An amazing, super cuddly boy. He is very good on a leash, knows he walks right after breakfast, and got used to his routine very fast.
Buddy: Practically a leash-walking pro! We did a photoshoot at the beach, then walked in the shade of the trees around the Dafni area. He met other dogs perfectly, reacted to his name, and is definitely ready for a home.
Mika: A beautiful, super sweet girl who shouldn't be in a shelter. She is good in the car, loves exploring the beach, and loves cuddles.
Diego: He has special husky eyes, each a different color! He is happy around water, loves watching streams flow, and amuses himself by spilling his water bowl to catch the water. He was very good at walking on a leash.
Timo & Jufi: Timo is a beautiful, active, snuggly boy who mastered the leash like a professional. Jufi is a big teddy bear and a very sweet boy who happily sniffed around on his walk.
Rocky: It wasn’t easy as he didn’t want to leave the proximity of the shelter. I took it step by step with lots of cuddling, and he finally walked a bit. It was his first time, so we will keep trying.
Oli: A little busy-body with a hunter's nature! He was so busy sniffing and exploring that I worried about taking pictures, but managed some nice ones on the way back.
Monty: Another gentle giant who was neglected. Such a good boy who loves cuddles, treats, and stretching his legs outside the shelter.
Sasha & Evita: Two sweet, cute puppies left behind while their siblings found families. They are always running for cuddles and playing. I can't believe they aren't adopted yet.
Clyde: We took this friendly, cuddly boy to the hairdresser. Catching him and putting on his harness was a challenge, as was getting him in and out of the car. But he was super nice at the groomer, very relieved when it was over, and returned to his friends looking more handsome than ever.
The Long Journey Home and a Bittersweet Goodbye
On Friday, we had a nice dinner and drinks in Arillas, enjoying beautiful views of the sea and villages. I was with all the girls who help at the shelter: Marie (who has helped non-stop for almost a year), Lynda (who helps twice a week and has for years), my girls, and Marketa with Luna.
On my last day at the shelter, we welcomed two new young, beautiful girls. They were put with Jufi because his roommate got adopted and went to his forever home on Thursday. I managed to take out four doggies for a walk before it was time to go. Our last afternoon was pretty chilled. Marketa brought Luna—a little daredevil dog with broken legs who took a long time to finally fall asleep. We were taking her back to the Czech Republic where the amazing organization Jezevcici v Nouzi offered to fix her legs so she can live a full, happy life.
Then, four girls were on the road again 2,000 km ahead of us.
First milestone: The ferry from Corfu to Igoumenitsa.
Greece to Macedonia & Serbia: The highway in Greece is under construction with many 60km/h zones, making the drive longer. Tolls in Greece and Macedonia are paid at each booth (1 - 3 EUR). The border crossing from Greece to Macedonia took a bit longer (likely because it was Sunday afternoon), but crossing into Serbia (Nis) was smooth. In Serbia, you take a ticket at one booth and pay at the next. Going towards Hungary, I passed two booths for tickets—one after the Macedonian border (paid before Belgrade), and another after Belgrade (paid closer to the Hungarian border). Serbian highways are really good and fast with plenty of gas stations.
Hungary & Slovakia: We bought electronic vignettes, so there was no need to stop. We were back in the EU, so there was no border control! Hungarian highways were under construction, causing slow-downs. We stayed the night in Slovakia in a cute little town called Stupava. It has a huge park where we walked the three girls, which was wonderful after the long drive.
Our last stop was Brodek u Prostějova in the Czech Republic. Dropping off Luna was really hard; I got attached and didn’t want to leave her. I was crying, so our last 3 hours of the drive were sad. But she will have her legs fixed, live without pain, and enjoy life with other handicapped dogs at Jezevcici v Nouzi until she finds her family. I will make sure to follow her story and updates on her recovery.
So, this is our Corfu story, April 2026.